It seems that everyone loves the sax. People tell me constantly how much they love the sax. (You probably do, too, or you wouldn't be reading this.)
But why? What is it about the sax that's so wonderfully cool? And why does it effect so many people so strongly? Here are my thoughts on the subject:
- Sax makes you feel good. The very sound of the sax does something to you. It touches you. It tickles your nervous system. In a good way.
- Sax sounds great anytime, in just about any kind of music, and makes almost any band more fun to listen to, even lousy ones. Even country music. Even polkas!
- Sax creates great ambiance. The sax sounds hip, sophisticated, relaxed, sensuous and romantic, and always creates great atmosphere.
- The sax looks cool. Even just the look of the instrument itself is artistic and fun. Even just having a sax laying around the room creates a hip ambiance.
- Sax music takes you... A good sax player can really take you places like no other instrument. Sure, guitar players would argue with that, but its true!
- Sax players are cool people. Almost universally. And I know a lot of them.
- Sax & Sex. And I think you know what I mean. Need I say more?